Working for the Northern Lighthouse Board can offer a rewarding career which could take you to some of the most remote and beautiful parts of Scotland and the Isle of Man.
We offer a competitive benefits package that includes an excellent pension scheme, generous holiday entitlement and HR policies that support our employees’ welfare and wellbeing.
We believe that staff who are treated well and are able to deal with family and personal matters are happier, more productive employees. We have a number of policies that support our employees work/life balance including:
- Flexible Working Hours operating at our Headquarters in Edinburgh and at our Oban base
- Carers/Dependents/Emergency leave
- Enhanced rates of pay for Maternity/Paternity/Adoption leave
- Career Breaks/Unpaid Leave
- 25 days holiday entitlement rising to 30 days after 5 years service
- 11.5 days public holidays
Health and Wellbeing
In June 2022 we received a ‘Commended’ in the Working Families Best Practice Awards in the category Best for Mental Health & Wellbeing. The awards celebrate employers whose stand-out cultures and working practices are leading the way in flexible and employee-friendly workplaces.
As part of our Health and Wellbeing progamme, we also offer:
- 24 hour free access to an Employee Assistance Provider counselling and advice on a large range of issues such as work related, family and legal problems
- Access to gym and fitness facilities
- Occupational Sick Pay Scheme
- Interest free loans for purchase of bikes and annual travel passes
Disability Confident Scheme
We are a member of the Government’s Disability Confident Scheme.
Celebrating our People
Each year we hold our Long Service and Special Recognition awards. This is a time to celebrate staff who have reached a certain milestone with NLB. It’s also a time to recognise staff who have gone above and beyond their normal duty.
The handbook is for all staff and offers information on a wide range of subjects related to NLB and your employment
Employee Handbook 2021 (PDF)
Work Experience – Ship’s Catering
We offer catering work experience placements on board our vessels. The placements last for two weeks and include firsthand experience of every aspect of the ship’s catering department. This is a rolling programme and applications may be submitted at any time. To find out more and request an application pack, please contact our HR team on 0131 473 3100 or firstname.lastname@example.org
You can also download a copy of our Ship’s Catering Work Experience Brochure (PDF)