Sgeir Bhuidhe’s first lighthouse was built in 1903 and designed by David A Stevenson.
The lighthouse is located on a rocky ledge on the west side of Loch Linnhe, just off Port Appin.
The original tower was a 7 metre high structure, consisting of a brick base, iron Acetylene tank and Lantern, with a gallery surrounding it.
In 2002 the old light was dismantled and replaced with this new light, which resembles a traditional lighthouse. The tower is fiberglass and requires much less maintenance than the previous tower.
The original lantern was given to the Museum of Scottish Lighthouses, who have loaned it to Port Appin, to ensure it’s preservation. The inside of the lantern room now houses an array of information boards, showing the history of the small village and it’s history, as well as the history of the lighthouse, and a small model showing it’s original form.