Rona Lighthouse was established by David & Thomas Stevenson in 1857.
In 1853 the Commissioners’ Engineer, David Stevenson, who had succeeded his brother Alan in February, prepared a list of 45 possible sites thought desirable to complete a system of lights for the coasts of Scotland. The board named eight which ought to be given priority – Sound of Islay (at or near Port Askaig), Sound of Mull (at or near Tobermory), the north and south entrances to the sounds between Skye and the mainland (Rona and Ornsay), the coast of Sutherland (at or near Stoer Head or Rubh’ Re), Holburn Head near Thurso, Cantick Head or Switha in Orkney, and Bressay at the south entrance to Lerwick harbour.
Rubha na Gall (Sound of Mull), Ornsay, Kyleakin, Rona and Ushenish were all lit on 10 November 1857.
On Rona, north of Raasay, a widow named Janet Mackenzie had for many years shown a light in one of her windows to help the fishing boats clear the rocks at the harbour entrance. She was given a grant of £20 by the Commissioners for doing this. (Source “Scottish Lighthouses”)
Rona lighthouse was automated in 1975.