McArthur’s Head lighthouse is situated at the entrance to the Sound of Islay on a high cliff.
McArthur’s Head lighthouse is situated on a promontory at the entrance to the Sound of Islay, on a high cliff, at an elevation of 39 metres. The lighthouse is one of seven lighthouses on Islay and was established in 1861. It was built by David and Thomas Stevenson, members of the Stevenson family of lighthouse engineers, responsible for building most of Scotland’s lighthouses. The height of the tower is 13 metres and it flashes every 10 seconds. The lighthouse was automated in 1969. In 2005 it was converted to a solar powered electric lamp.