Maughold Head Lighthouse is located on the headland of the same name at the southern end of Ramsey Bay on the eastern coast of the Isle of Man. It was completed in 1914 and designed by David A and Charles Stevenson.
After a meeting on 3 February 1909 concerning new works, the board of Trade put forward a suggestion to the Commissioners that a fog horn be established at Maughold Head. The suggestion was made by a Mr Gardner, an Engineer, following a complaint from Lord Inverclyde that the Whitestone Bank Light was often extinguished and on several occasions shipping had come to grief.
As there wasn’t a light between Point of Ayre and Douglas Head, it was advised that a light and fog signal would be of great assistance to shipping. But as the Commissioners had other proposed new works in progress they decided Maughold Head wasn’t urgent and would be included in the 1910-11 Estimates.
On 26 August the statutory approval was sought from Trinity House. Unfortunately, Trinity House declined to give their approval as a fog siren and light were already established at Bahama Bank (Bahama Bank Lightship) 4 miles from Maughold Head. The matter was retained for discussion. Trinity House sanction was requested again and as the Board of Trade had given their approval, this time it was granted.
A Mr James MacBeth was appointed as Inspector of Works and Messrs D & J MacDougall of Oban were the building contractors.
Lanterns and parapet made by A C Westwood
Machine with revolving carriage, Dove & Co
Diamond incandescent burner for the illuminant was made by Chance Bros.
The fog signal machinery was made by Dove &Co
The estimates was in excess of £11,000
The proposed withdrawal of the Bahama Bank Lightship was consequent on the establishment of this station.
The light was first exhibited on 15 April 1914.
The 77 foot tower brings the lantern to about the same level as the lightkeepers houses on the cliff-top 128 steps above.
Although many Manx names come from the Norse language, no suitable derivation can be found for this name. It is probably Gaelic although not spelt phonetically like Manx Gaelic and could be from Maug, a plain or meadow, and Allt a burn, the meadow of the burn.
Maughold Head was automated in 1993.