bannerimg bannerimg

Holy Island (Outer)

Holy Island Outer is one of two lighthouses on Holy Island, the other being Holy Island Inner Lighthouse. It is located on the east shore at Pillar Rock Point, the south eastern point of the island, about 1200 metres north east of the inner lighthouse.

It had a fog horn and the revolving light was lit by paraffin. It was the first lighthouse built with a square tower.

Details

Year Established

1905

Engineer

David and Charles Stevenson

Position

Latitude   55°31.042'N
Longitude 005°03.653'W

Character

Flashing (2) White every 20 seconds

Elevation

38 metres

Range

18 nautical miles

Structure

Square tower painted white with buff trim, lantern painted black.
Height of Tower 23 metres

Public Access

No

See more NLB Lighthouses