Douglas Head Lighthouse is located at Douglas Head on the Isle of Man. It was established in 1857 by the engineering brothers David and Thomas Stevenson.
In 1855, the Lord Commissioners of the Admiralty requested the observations of the Commissioners on the establishment of a light – other than a Harbour Light – at Douglas Harbour, in the Isle of Man. A request also came from a Mr Cabbin (presumably of the local Harbour Authority) to have a light established at Douglas Harbour. From information gleaned from a Parliamentary Report, it appeared that a light did exist at Douglas, but that it had, for some unknown reason, not been exhibited since 1850. There were originally two lights: one on the pier, which had to remain a harbour light and the second light on Douglas Head, this light being the only sea light between the Calf of Man and Point of Ayre, distance of 40 miles.
Prior to 1857, the light at Douglas Head was under the jurisdiction of the Commissioners of Douglas Harbour from which date the Commissioners of Northern Lighthouse took over Douglas Head Lighthouse.
The name Douglas Head means Blackstream, (Dubh – black and Glais – stream). Some manx men maintain it was derived from two rivers, the Dubh and Glas, the black and the green of Greu Rivers.
The lighthouse was automated in 1986.