Davaar Lighthouse was completed in 1854 by David and Thomas Stevenson.
The building is listed as being of Architectural/Historic interest.
Davaar was known as the island of Sanct Barre, 1449 -1508.
The modern form Davaar is from older Do Bharre – thy St Barre. Dr Gillies in his “Place Names of Argyll” appears to accept the popular derivation, Double-pointed (Da-Bharr) Island.
Davaar, situated at the mouth of Campbeltown Loch, is an Island only at high tide. It is linked to the mainland by the Dhorlin, a bank of shingle which can be crossed at low tide.
One and one third acres of ground were purchased to build the lighthouse and buildings which were estimated to cost between £3,000 and £4,000. The Contractor responsible for the building was John Barr & Co. James Milne & Son made the lantern and the leadwork was made by John Marshall.
A revolving white light was though to be the best possible distinction for Davaar and the character in 1854 was one flash every ½ minute.
The light used a mercury vapour lamp in conjunction with catoptric mirrors driven by clockwork machinery. The station had a secomac electric siren fog signal with flap value shutters.
The light was automated in 1983.
It should be noted that at some sites the Northern Lighthouse Board have sold some redundant buildings within the lighthouse complex and are not responsible for the maintenance of these building.