bannerimg bannerimg

Cantick Head

Cantick Head Lighthouse is situated on the South East Coast of the Island of Hoy in the Orkney Islands.

History

Cantick Head Lighthouse is situated on the South East Coast of the Island of Hoy in the Orkney Islands.
The Commissioners made representations to Trinity House and the Board of Trade in February 1854 and received almost immediately statutory approval to their proposals. Lengthy correspondence did, however, take place with Trinity House and the Board of Trade regarding approval of specification, character of light and acceptance of building tenders which delayed commencement of building work until February 1856.

The light was first exhibited on the night of 15 July 1858.

A fog horn was established in October 1913 and discontinued in 1987.

The light was automated in 1991 and is now remotely monitored from the Northern Lighthouse Board’s offices Edinburgh.

Cantick Head Lighthouse, lightkeepers’ cottages, sundial pedestal & outbuildings are grade B listed of architectural and historic interest

 

Details

Year Established

1858

Engineer

David & Thomas Stevenson

Position

Latitude   58° 47.229'N
Longitude 003° 07.890'W

Character

Flashing White every 20 Seconds

Elevation

35 metres

Range

18 nautical miles

Structure

White tower, 22 metres in height. There are 49 steps to the top of the Lighthouse

Public Access

No

See more NLB Lighthouses