Cantick Head Lighthouse is situated on the South East Coast of the Island of Hoy in the Orkney Islands. The Commissioners made representations to Trinity House and the Board of Trade in February 1854 and received almost immediately statutory approval to their proposals. Lengthy correspondence did, however, take place with Trinity House and the Board of Trade regarding approval of specification, character of light and acceptance of building tenders which delayed commencement of building work until February 1856. The light was first exhibited on the night of 15 July 1858. A fog horn was established in October 1913 and discontinued in 1987. The light was automated in 1991 and is now remotely monitored from the Northern Lighthouse Board’s offices Edinburgh. Cantick Head Lighthouse, lightkeepers' cottages, sundial pedestal & outbuildings are grade B listed of architectural and historic interest
To report any defects or damage to any of our aids to navigation please telephone our 24 hour freephone emergency number 08000 326655.